Monday, February 7, 2011

I DID!


Last year after watching and admiring the runners heading in towards the finish line in the ING Miami Marathon from their 13.1 and 26.2 runs, I wondered if I could do it. Sure there are people lumbering in that don't look like Marathoners, but I have learned that fitness comes in all shapes and sizes. Never assume if the person doesn't look like they should be on the cover of a fitness magazine, that they aren't fit.

So I signed up for the 2011 ING 13.1. I figured "I CAN" and having made the commitment knew that I couldn't back out. Over the next months I began to wonder what the heck was I thinking, that my body doesn't like to run, as I have never been a runner, really. How to rev up this body to a graceful gait that I picture myself crossing the finish line with? I figured that by getting out there and just doing it. Not so easy, really.

I started to run in July, thinking that it was a great head start to get myself into running shape, but quickly developed a pain in my hip. Unfortunately it was a really irritating bad pain in the Iliac Crest, a burning sensation that turned my usual lively step into a slow limp. So back to square one and heal. Ice, Epsom Salt baths, Foam Roller therapy, Power Plate therapy and of course, the most excruciating Neuromuscular Massages I have ever in my life, were on the list of things I did to get myself back to where I needed to be. My LMT probably had never heard the insults that came out of my mouth anywhere other than a trucker bar by a toothless old withered drunk man fighting over the last shot of whiskey. If in fact he had ever frequented a place like that. Over the next few months the hip pain gradually subsided, and I finally was able to begin to train seriously . This happened to be only 3 weeks before the event.

At no point will you hear me say that my training was standard or recommended, I ran 3 miles on a Saturday (after teaching a cycling class), did the same that Monday. The Wednesday after that it was 4 miles, that Friday 5. Next Monday 5, Wednesday 6 and then Friday 7. The week after I hit my 'long run' of 8 miles and the next run was a 5 mile run and then the race. As a matter of fact it was more of a "how not to train for a 13.1".

In the meantime I was teaching Indoor Cycling, Pilates and Yoga so I was keeping myself pretty mobile in between.

The two days prior to race day I was beside myself with doubt. Never having run more than 8 miles I had some serious doubts regarding my ability to run (jog) the race. SURE I could walk it, but being a pretty competitive person, I didn't want to walk it! PISHAW! I would at least jog, but only stop for the obligatory pee as I have the bladder of a two year old.

Package pickup is the Saturday before the race and I proudly marched in. Why YES I AM in this race thank you very much! I picked up my bright orange bag and with pride pranced around like a peacock on display. Sure I don't LOOK like a runner. I am not skinny, lithe and graceful. More short and thick as my genetic code is that of the 'matron' type. If you see me you would never guess I am as active as I am, it doesn't matter though because hot damn, I had my bag, I had my attitude and I wasn't planning on walking this race.

On the morning of the race, I nearly made myself sick with nerves. WHY ??? WHY did I sign up for this?? Am I insane?? I mean really, what was I thinking?!?!? Wanting to kick myself in the buttocks I headed to the start line, cold, and kissing my hubby the real Marathon runner goodbye as he stepped into his corral. You know, the ones where real racers go? I wandered into mine, in the very back, where "wanna be" Marathoners wait.

Having been through childbirth, I knew this was going to be a case of "this is going to hurt for a few hours but there is NO getting around it" and prayed the pain would be at least slightly less than popping a full nine pounder out. I didn't expect it to be though, it was obvious that I was going to prefer childbirth over this. My mind racing, the starting shot rang out and I snuck out of my corral as the crowd began to walk to the start line to pee. Of course I had to go, even though I had just 1/2 hour before. Figures.

There are so many racers it took 10 full minutes to cross the starting line so once I was able to actually start, my blood started flowing and my mind kept on thinking "the faster you go, the faster you finish so DON'T WALK". Starting out my incredibly eclectic playlist was AC/DC's Back In Black. Heck, if I did not get pumped up with that - I couldn't get pumped up with anything.

It was a glorious freaking morning to be running in Miami, 50 degrees (thank GOD),a beautiful early morning run over the causeways into Miami Beach. I shall not bore anyone with a play by play, but lets say once the runners high kicked in after the first of my FIVE stops to pee at mile 3 (it was cold, I was very hydrated and wasn't sweating due to the weather) it didn't go away. I was saying hi to spectators who probably were wondering who the crazy lady with the silly grin was, singing to my music, and generally wondering why on earth I had been so nervous.

All that happiness and runners high flowed through me until mile 10. The pain began, and I kept on thinking that all I had left was a measly 5k. On I trotted and that runners high never went away completely, sure I was hurting, but smiles and cheers from the crowd kept me going. And it hit me..... THAT WAS ME last year! At no point had I realized how important a smile to a stranger in pain, and a cheer could really make a difference until I was on the other side of the fence. I helped others get past that hump! It was a nice feeling and despite it all I was happy, warm, and fuzzy on the inside.

Getting to mile 11, then 12 was incredibly hard, but once you make that turn and know that you are heading into the finish chute your heart just bursts. A grin spread across my face, I couldn't stop smiling and my body just kicked it. In my head I was sprinting with the elegance of a gazelle past everyone else in pain. My smile perfect and my body gorgeous, oh yes, in my mind I was the female version of Hermes himself with wings on my feet. Only later looking at the video did the reality of my middle aged body, in pain, jogging across the finish let me see what everyone else did.

But no matter what, it doesn't matter... I DID IT! And I am going to do it again!

Now I can say with pride "You can do it too!"





1 comment: