Saturday, July 31, 2010

Ode to Bog




Indulge me this blog and as you begin to read let us hear the "Ode to Joy" in our brains. Or Justin Timberlake's "Sexy Back" really, its up to you.

The Chernobog (Chernabog, Czernobog, or Tchernobog) is a Slavic god, the "Black god" if you may. An interpretation of this god was featured in Walt Disney's 1940's movie "Fantasia". Strong, evil, and a badass dude that shook Bald Mountain from the core. Quite cool, one of the best characters in any Disney movie. I remember as a child thinking how great that part of the movie was instead of the dancing Hippos in the tutus. Seriously what WERE they smoking when they put that one together?
Now imagine this girl in desperate need of a bike. Desperately searching for the right one in Mack Cycle out of the mountain of mind numbing colorful bikes all leaning against each other. Nothing... none calls out. Sure they have the components but hey when push comes to shove there has to be that special something that just calls your name. You just know it when you see it. You just know! Like that crush I had when I was 16 on John Taylor of Duran Duran. I just knew he was the one..... OK so that time I was wrong, but you catch the drift.
Rummaging and swearing under my breath because I was going nowhere with these shiny bikes all of a sudden there he was, obscured by the other bikes with their neon voices and their shiny gears. When you find the one he need not shout his presence, he only needs to wait. His voice will be heard. I heard him calling through the others and knew he was the one. Now cue your brain a second to that angelic "AAAAAHHHHHH" and a ray of light (or disco strobe with disco ball depending on which song you chose).
I had to dig him out but once I pulled him out of the asphyxiating embrace of the other bikes he sang to me. I think the actual song was Hot Chocolate's "You sexy thing". OK, wait, no that was me singing to the bike to the chagrin of my husband and the stares of the other patrons in the store, but I digress.
He is Matte black, chrome and hungry. Hungry for the road and ready to be mine. He is lovely my Cannondale CAAD9. His voice is that of an angel (Barry White) and his gears precious release on the asphalt. The moment I saw him I knew - He is the Chernobog, my Chernabog my dark god. My Bog. He need not scream color and shine, he is just a shadow passing you as I ride by. I love my Bog, here is where the crescendo hits as I hear the "Ode to Joy" thinking of my dark god. I feel like a superhero on him riding into the sunset after battling the bad guys, he has that effect upon me.
And above you will see the completely unrealistic image I have of myself as the "Hammer" after riding the Bog.
Hey, a girl needs her dreams and on my Bog thats who I am.






1 comment: