Sunday, July 11, 2010

Summer of the Greats

Even if you don't follow sports you can't help but to know that this is the summer of the greats. World Cup fever and Cycling fever (Tour de France, Lance is back) have set in and its impossible to ignore the amazing athletes competing in their full glory.

Why do we admire these athletes and get caught up in the excitement of these modern day Gladiators fighting in their arenas for the ultimate prize? So what is it about these amazing individuals that make them who they are? Why are they our heroes?

Call me crazy but I am going to say its their ability to say "I can". Sure talent has everything to do with it too, but its always mind over matter that gets you through the rough times, the pain, the hardship to overcome that little voice in your head that says "I can't". Of course we might give in to the "can't" but that is not a problem, just shake yourself off, smile and say the words "I am a Champ". If that sounds silly, please take a second to ponder. If you don't think you are a Champ who will?

YOU are a champ.

YOU can do it.

Give the word "NO" the finger and in the famous words of Nike "JUST DO IT".

"I can find the energy after a long day to help my child with her homework."
"I can find a smile for the stranger on the street."
"I can change my attitude and find a nice thing to say."
"I can wake up a half hour earlier and do some Yoga."

Whatever it is that holds you back just remember that its up to you to become the person you want to be. You are only a victim to your circumstances when you make yourself one. Look at Lance, he had very little hopes of surviving Cancer. "I can't" wasn't an option for him.



No comments:

Post a Comment